Come work with us!
Job posting: Senior Database Administrators
Senior Database Administrators
Canada - all, United Kingdom - all, USA - all
Posted: 15 days ago
The Senior Database Administrator is responsible for design, test, implement, maintain and control of our customers databases across multiple platforms, technologies (e.g., physical, relational and object oriented) and computing environments (e.g., host based, distributed systems, client server).
This role sits inside the Natrinsic Managed Services team, providing senior level DBA services to Natrinsic customers.
The responsibility is also to provide technical guidance to less experienced database administrators on customer teams in their assigned duties. Ability to apply comprehensive functional and technical knowledge in a team setting for problem resolution, design and engineering decisions and system architecture planning is key.
- Prior experience of working with databases in high transaction environments; For data warehousing, large (10TB+) data warehouses on Oracle RAC/ODA/Exadata, MPP platforms (Redshift, Netezza, Snowflake, Yellowbrick, DashDB, Vertica, Azure SQL DW) or Hadoop.
- Design, architect, plan database solutions to meet the customers need. Applies comprehensive business processes, application design and functional knowledge in problem resolution. Proposes and defines solutions and standards which may impact a team or the organization.
- Lead and contribute to the development of new methods, procedures, processes or systems and understand the impact of these changes. Responsible for decisions impacting a team and may provide input into the decision making process for larger decisions.
- Designs and implements disaster recovery solutions for critical systems.
- Provides leadership and expertise in investigation and resolution of performance related issues for warehousing environments. Design major reconstructions of database structures to ensure appropriate levels of performance, data integrity, recovery and security.
- Assist in planning, organizing and controlling database administration activities and in the development of the overall project plans and timetables. Provide technical expertise to client and other data processing management and staff.
- Assist in providing technical guidance, support and training to the database administration staff and provides evaluation on their technical proficiency to management.
- Write clear and concise status reports, memos, and miscellaneous items such as test results, problem resolutions, etc. Write detailed technical specifications.
- Facilitate discussion of technical issues. Conduct basic negotiations with other departments to achieve project/product goals.
- Monitor and analyze system performance (e.g., stress volume), perform cost analysis for users, perform systems testing, performance and tuning. Notify management of findings, and recommend solutions.
- Evaluate and recommend major new database software products.
- Develop and implement standards, procedures, and policies regarding software and applications databases (including naming, migration, backup, recovery, and security).
- Provide support in the logical and physical design of databases in coordination with application development.
Participate in project management tracking on cross-functional teams.
- Read professional literature in order to investigate new tools, technologies, methods, techniques etc. to determine their functionality in the company’s environment.
- Implements improvements to process and code used for automating maintenance and operational tasks in various systems including critical trading systems, warehousing systems and other OLTP systems
- Leverage in-depth knowledge of database clustering technologies to design and administer several clustered warehousing and transactional databases.
- Provide Production & Development Database Administration (DBA) support for our Managed Services Select Technologies – Oracle, Netezza, Redshift, Snowflake, Yellowbrick, DashDB, Vertica, or Hadoop. Preference goes to those with experience with more than one MPP DW technology.
- Installing & upgrading database software and resolving database software problems.
- Performing evaluations of potential tools & utilities.
- Automating database tasks via scripting or through the use of tools.
- Updating, migrating, and refreshing database environments.
- Configuring monitoring and proactively reviewing statistics for errors, capacity and performance issues.
- Tuning and troubleshooting software & database performance issues.
- Ensuring database recoverability within the constraints of any application, project and other requirements.
- Oversight for creation, maintenance, and testing of database infrastructure processes and technologies deployed in the organization.
- Take a lead role as appropriate in procedural development for both disaster recovery and operational Readiness
- Prior experience or exposure to application design/data modeling is highly desired
Knowledge and Experience
- College degree in computer science or a related discipline, or an equivalent level of technical knowledge required.
- 9+ years of experience in administering databases on unix based platforms, with at least 3 years of experience in supporting 10 TB+ data warehouses (applicable for data warehousing) or work experience in environments getting over a billion rows of data daily and on data platforms such as Netezza, Greenplum, Redshift, Snowflake, Oracle Exadata or Hadoop ecosystem is strongly preferred. In lieu of the college degree, a total of 15 years of experience is required.
- A hands-on person with the ability to lead the team and have the necessary people skills
- Any experience with Hadoop ecosystem and technologies such as Impala, hdfs, Kafka, Spark is required.
- 6+ years experience in Oracle RDBMS with 3 years experience in using RAC is required. 3+ years of experience working directly on Oracle RAC and Data Guard preferably on Exadata.
- Solid knowledge of Linux / Unix operating systems and shell programming is required
- Understanding of system architecture and system administration tasks is a plus.
- 3+ years production experience in programming languages such as Python, Scala, Java, C/C++ is preferred
- 1+ years of experience working directly on PostgreSQL, MongoDB or Cassandra databases will be a plus
- Effective communication skills with ability to maintain good relations with users, developers, operations and information security teams.
- The person must have the ability to work in a fast-paced customer business environment. The person must have the aptitude to work with application and business data and must have the mind-set, ability to learn/support multiple data platform technologies.